Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Famous People Who Disliked School

10. George Bernard Shaw (1925 Nobel Laureate, Literature): "My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself."

9. Robert Morley (English Actor, 1985): "Show me the man who has enjoyed his schooldays and I will show you a bully and a bore."

8. Albert Einstein (Physicist, 1950): "It is, in fact, nothing short of a miracle that the modern methods of education have not yet entirely strangled the curiosity of inquiry."

7. H.L. Mencken (Journalist, 1935): "School days, I believe, are the unhappiest in the whole span of human existence. They are full of dull, unintelligible tasks, new and unpleasant ordinances, and brutal violations of common sense and common decency."


6. Woody Allen (Playwright, 1989): "I had a terrible education. I attended a school for emotionally disturbed teachers."

5. Mark Twain (American Author, 1900): "I've never let my school interfere with my education."

4. Margaret Mead (Anthropologist,): "My grandmother wanted me to have an education, so she kept me out of school."

3. Ernest Shakleton (Antartic Explorer,1905): "I do not know what "moss" stands for in the proverb, but if it stood for useful knowledge...I gathered more moss by rolling than I ever did at school."

2. Ivan Illich (Philosopher, 1990): "We have come to realize that for most men the right to learn is curtailed by the obligation to attend school."

1. John Updike (American Author, 1975): "The founding fathers in their wisdom decided that children were an unnatural strain on their parents. So they provided jails called schools, equipped with tortures called education."


No comments:

Post a Comment