Tuesday, November 11, 2008

How Long Are YOU Going To Live?

In the course of my observation...disputing, contradicting and confuting people are generally unfortunate in their affairs. They get victory sometimes, but they never get good will, which would be of more use to them.

Benjamin Franklin (1780)


Want to have a long, happy life? Be agreeable. National Geographic Magazine's feature article on longevity (2006) argued, people who live past 100 years, healthy and happy, have agreeable dispositions and are generally enjoyable to be around. The stereotype of the grumpy old man, may be just that, a stereotype. The oldest among us, are the most pleasant.

I have met exactly two beautiful people who are close to a century old; both truly inspiring. One is my grandmother, who is a young ninety-one. She is pleasant, witty, non-confrontational and still gets manicures weekly. I wonder sometimes, how she became who she is today. How is it that she seems to savor the moment with a twinkle in her eye? She keeps so much in her heart, and remembers more good than bad in her life. Was she born this sanguine? Her mother died when she was six years old. Her strict and austere grandparents raised her. She married young and had eight children, the last of which died in her arms as an infant. Did se decide to be happy no matter what? I guess I better ask her next time I see her. I'll keep you posted...

No comments:

Post a Comment